When I started to make it in my own kitchen, I was frustrated. I couldn't replicate my Grandmom's version even though I followed her directions explicitly. So I took to the internets, and on Allrecipes.com I found Guinness Roasted Corned Beef. I've adopted it as my own.
If you don't like one pot corned beef where everything is boiled together, I urge you to try this version. It's delicious.
- 4 lb corned beef, flat cut
- 12 oz Guinness stout
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Cabbage, red potatoes, and carrots to complete the meal
- Salt, pepper, minced onion
- Butter (optional)
Preheat your oven to 300. Get a roasting pan with a rack and spray with cooking spray.
Open your corned beef, rinse it and pat it dry. Cut about two inches off and throw it into a pot. Do not discard the little seasonings packet.
1. Rub brown sugar into the corned beef - on the bottom, top, sides.
2. Pour the Guinness into the bottom of the roasting pan, then gently pour it over the corned beef.
3. Cover tightly with tin foil and cook for two and a half hours.
4. Add the little seasonings packet to the corned beef in the pot. Cut up carrots, quarter red potatoes and cabbage and add those as well. Season with salt and pepper and minced onions. Add a tablespoon of butter to the top if you wish.
5. Pour a little Guinness in there, just for some taste. Fill the rest with water. Bring to a boil and then turn it to low, and simmer for two hours.
6. If you don't like boiled cabbage (I don't), saute some in butter with salt, pepper, and minced onion until it just starts to brown.
Then finish the rest of the Guinness. If taking a selfie, you should probably shower first. I did not take my own advice.
Take the corned beef out and let it rest for five minutes before slicing it down.
And since you're making it in March, and maybe after Daylight Savings, there will still be time to sit out back when you're finished to enjoy the waning light.
Guinness roasted corned beef and light later into the evening. Just two more reasons March rocks.
p.s. three days until my birthday
Linking up with Northern Belle Diaries for Just Because.