Until I saw it, I don't think I believed it would ever happen. In fact, it would take me a few days to really understand how important it is to me because I was so overwhelmed that it actually happened.
It's very, very important. Regardless of your politics, it's huge.
If you're a white man who has always seen someone who looks like you in power, you probably think it isn't a big deal. If you know how hard the road has been and how many woman have walked it, you know it's monumental. From an article on USA Today:
- This female nomination came 168 years and nine days after the first women's rights conference in Seneca Falls, NY
- This female nomination came 150 years after Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton founded the first organization dedicated to suffrage for women of all races
- This female nomination came 144 years after Susan B. Anthony was convicted for voting in the 1872 presidential election
- This female nomination came 96 years after the approval of the 19th Amendment barring gender discrimination in voting
- This female nomination came with thoughts for suffragettes Alice Paul, who in an effort to win the right for women to vote was on a hunger strike while confined to a jail psychiatric ward and force fed raw eggs through a tube; Lucy Burns, also on a hunger strike to win the right to vote, held down by five people and fed through her nostrils; Dora Lewis, knocked out by guards who threw her against a metal railing over her insistence that women be allowed the right to vote
This nomination is a big fuck you to everyone who has ever said
girls don't do that / don't be so bossy / Smile! / that's not a career for women / you do that like a girl / calm down / he picks on you because he likes you / just deal with it, you're lucky to have a job / women can't handle that / you do that well for a woman / you're too emotional / you're not emotional enough, what's wrong with you? / she was asking for it / you should be at home / slut / she must wear the pants in that relationship / insert yours here
This nomination is
encouragement / empowerment / strength / hope / possibility / reassurance / insert yours here