my first post on Cape Town yesterday. My next post is tomorrow. Some things don't fit anywhere. Like the fact that I can never get latte art anywhere at home and it was prevalent in my hotel in Cape Town. Or that biltong is like a jerky and it's delicious. Or that kelp forests are freaking scary and smell pungently briny. Or that I wish they sold grapetiser here because it's a delicious sparkling white grape juice that would be so refreshing ice cold (which it never was there, no drinks were ever ice cold). Or that Castle is just eh as a local beer. Or that I don't drink wine much anymore but tried a local sauvignon blanc wine with lunch each day in Cape Town and they were delicious on the whole. Or that we were traveling with a little Teddy and I need to complete his paperwork and send him back. Or that I feel the need to photograph graffiti everywhere (L-R top of Table Mountain, original Cape Point Light House, Hout Bay, Hout Bay).
4. As is my custom, I have returned from one trip and set my sights on the next, which is Ireland and Paris for my Dad's 60th birthday in November. I'm about to book our airfare using miles. There are very few things as awesome as booking airfare and paying nothing. I am relatively new to the rewards points game, but being that we love to travel, I will never leave it. Two tickets to Europe. No cash. You can't beat it. Some of our hotels will be paid with miles too. I've been working towards earning these because it's the ticket to swinging two international trips in one year. Get it? The ticket? I'm using the Barclays Arrivals Card to earn miles and MFD is using his American Express business card. If you play the miles game, what do you use to earn miles?
5. I also played the miles game to cover my airfare for next weekend. MFD has a conference in New Orleans, so his air and hotel are business expenses. I've never been there and am not one to pass up a free hotel room so I used the last of my American miles to book myself a quick weekend trip and hope to never fly American again after that because they are asshole unapologetic flight changers. I want to hunt down this king cake burger even though I can just imagine how ill I would feel after eating it.
6. If I had to live in any outfit from previous decades, it would be a flannel over rippy jeans and Doc Martens. That was a comfortable uniform. I think of this more than I should, and I saw it on a friend's FB status the other day and on Caitlin's post yesterday so it's in the forefront of my mind. Cue Into Your Arms by the Lemonheads.
7. Aldi is kicking up its organic food offerings. I need to pop in and check it out.
8. Last weekend I was looking forward to being home and getting shit done, but those plans were changed. This weekend, nothing's stopping me. I'm going to be doing some purging and organizing and list making and all those things dorks like me think are fun and exciting. Not on my to do list: super bowl things.
9. This Tuesday, February 9. Are you ready?
I went to bed thinking today would actually be Friday so that was a blow. Onward.