2. I am not a self help book fan, and I don't worship at the altar of Glennon Doyle Melton although I do enjoy her and read things from her regularly that resonate with me. I like motivational things in short spurts, but get overwhelmed by it when it's always in my face. Yesterday morning I went to a talk with my coworker on presence and body language by Amy Cuddy of TED Talk fame. It was just the right length, so I enjoyed it. Particularly the idea that when we are not present, we approach situations with fear, execute with anxiety, and leave with regret; and when we are present, we approach situations with composure, execute with calm confidence, and leave with satisfaction. Our body language has a lot to do with that. I also found it really interesting that hunching over our phones is ruining both our posture and our moods...it takes away our power and makes us more stressed, anxious, and depressed and less productive, confident, and assured. Just underscoring the importance of living pieces of our lives device-free daily. Sit up straight. Chin up. Raise your arms up in the air for a few seconds. Don't you feel better than you did 10 seconds ago?
3. Tuesday night I tried that turd of a shaving cream I made this weekend. Some people were all it doesn't matter if it's ugly as long as it works and I was all yeah, that's right! Well. It's ugly AND it doesn't work. It clogs up your razor. And it makes the tub so slippery you feel like you are wearing roller skates on an ice rink, grabbing at the air like it can save you and praying life does not make this a hard fall. Moral of the story: it's funny when you are telling people how crappy it turned out but otherwise no, I wouldn't try to make your own shaving cream at home.
Jana has masterminded a podcast in which her and I talk about books and things associated with books and also go off on irrelevant tangents because we are who we are and we can't help it? Seriously, we record at night and sometimes it's a brain dead time and who the hell knows what is even coming out of my mouth. ANYWAY Jana hopes to have it up and running for the next Show Us Your Books, which is Tuesday, March 8, and we hope you might want to listen to two friends talk about books. We are not professionals. Repeat. We are not professionals. But we do have a professional amount of fun doing this. Jana is doing all the tech stuff and answering my numerous texts every week asking what we're talking about and when because I forget to write it down the week before. I'm like a small child who needs a handler on this project.
5. Just a few more days of Wallet Watch. Spoiler alert: I've gone down the poop shoot a little bit the last week. For those of you playing along, remember to share your posts next Friday, March 4.
6. I made my way back to zumba classes this week. Tuesday night I left my house in the cold rain to go. I was rewarded by the presence of someone who was not the instructor in head to toe zumba gear: tank, pants, shoes, bracelet, headband, scarf. The sheer amount of zumba items on her person made me think she was the instructor, so I introduced myself to her since we had texted on Saturday but had not met in person. She's like oh no, I'm not the instructor. Oh. LOLOL
7. The leak in the basement was actually coming from the pipe under the kitchen sink. It's been patched but it has to be replaced. Like the entire pipe. Involving multiple ceilings throughout the basement. Shit continues to be in disarray. Good thing clean out and repurpose entire basement is already on my to do list. This will certainly be the kick in the ass to make it happen.
8. So Debbie and I are heading up to visit Lori and Jack this weekend. When I get home Sunday, I'm not going to jump into food prep like I normally would. I'm going to attempt to shift my weekly food prep to Monday night this week AND still attend zumba. This would mimic how it'll go down when I'm at the shore on weekends this summer. I actually think I need to do a combo of having meals in the freezer, cutting up fruits & veg on the weekend, and finishing up food prep Monday night. We'll see.
9. Whenever I'm peeling and cutting kiwi, I look down and see my Mom Mom's hands doing the same thing. It's always comforting.
10. E-card of the week...
That's what it's all about right now. Your Thursday thoughts?